« BackNews:

Spring Budget ‘Fails To Deliver’

The government Spring Budget has come under attack for failing to make changes that would help it achieve its 2030 energy targets. 

Earlier this week (March 15th), chancellor of the exchequer Jeremy Hunt announced plans to launch Great British Nuclear, which will support the building of new nuclear plants. 

He stated modernising nuclear infrastructure will help the country achieve its net zero goals. 

However, the Anaerobic Digestion and Bioresources Association (ABDA) pointed out these plants take a very long time to build, making it unlikely they will help the UK to achieve net zero by 2030.

Chairman Chris Huhne said: “For renewables and net zero, this is a never-never budget of far-off promises that fails to deliver on immediate and available home-grown solutions like green gas and onshore wind.”

He added that, unlike nuclear plants, biogas sites can be constructed in two years. These are proven to be effective at “cutting emissions and improving energy security”. 

Anaerobic digestion (AD) works by turning food waste and sewage into biogas and biomethane. These can then be used to generate electricity and heating. They can also create bio-fertilisers for farming, and bioCO2 for the food and drink industry. 

The ADBA stated that current AD sites in the UK could cut annual greenhouse gas emissions in the UK by six per cent before the deadline of 2030. 

As part of the government’s goal, the Environment Agency wants to reduce carbon emissions in the UK by 45 per cent over the next seven years. It will then offset the remaining 55 per cent through other initiatives that lock up carbon. 


If the government plans to open more AD plants across the country to speed up its progress, it will need plenty of tank breather valves to ensure the sites operate effectively.